Transitioning to Today's Campus
The 1980s saw the beginning of a series of large renovation and construction projects that would continue throughout the 1990s. Reverend Donald F. Rowe, S.J. (1941-2021), who was president of Saint Ignatius College Prep from 1981 until 1998, oversaw the overhaul and expansion work. In 1992, a complete renovation of the "New Wing" began - necessary considering the building which housed arts and sciences programs, had not undergone any major change since it was built. Also in 1992, Jim '32 and Genevieve McLaughlin donated one million dollars at the annual Christmas concert. Their donation allowed for the addition of a 38,000-square-foot building to the "New Wing." This addition, which would be called the McLaughlin Center for Performing Arts and Sciences, was to include a theater, dressing rooms, workrooms, classrooms and science laboratories. There was also to be a music room, which would be called the McDonough Music Center, which was made possible by the generosity of Jim '51 and Jacque McDonough. The groundbreaking for the McLaughlin Center for Performing Arts and Sciences was held on June 14, 1994.